Informação Sobre o Exame | Information about the Exam
Local de realização e horários | Venue and schedule
Sede da APPLA, sala do Centro de Testes de Inglês Aeronáutico. Dias úteis, entre as 09H30 e as 18H00 (hora a que o último exame deve terminar).
APPLA’s headquarters, dedicated room for the Aeronautical English Test. Weekdays, from 9.30am to 6.00pm (time last exam should end).
Inscrição | Exam registration
A inscrição poderá ser feita directamente entre entidades/empresas que tenham estabelecido protocolos com a APPLA para o efeito.
Os pilotos que pretendam efectuar a inscrição directamente com a APPLA, poderão fazê-lo usando um dos seguintes métodos:
- Através da página Marcação de Exame do site Appla, ou
- Através do envio de um email para firstname.lastname@example.org solicitando marcação de exame, ou
- Através de contacto directo para o telefone 217 926 820.
Registration may be made directly between entities/companies that have established protocols with APPLA for this purpose.
Pilots wishing to enroll directly with APPLA, may do so by using one of the following methods:
Organização do IAET | Composition of the IAET
O IAET – International Aviation English Test, propriedade da ISAE – International School of Aeronautical English, é o teste presentemente usado pelo Centro de Testes de Inglês Aeronáutico (CTIA) da APPLA. O teste, concebido com base nas recomendações da ICAO, é efectuado por um examinador, recorrendo ao uso de um computador (o IAET esta descrito mais em baixo nesta página).
The IAET - International Aviation English Test is the one used by APPLA’s Aeronautical English Test Centre. The test, is designed based on the recommendations of ICAO, it is carried out by an examiner, resorting to the use of a computer (the IAET is described further down on this page).
Critérios de Avaliação | Evaluation Criteria
O nível obtido no teste é determinado pelo valor mais baixo obtido nos seis critérios ICAO (Pronunciation, Vocabulary, Structure, Fluency, Comprehension, Interactions), de acordo com as regras e escala definidas por esta entidade aeronáutica. A classificação é atribuída independente e isoladamente por dois avaliadores (raters) que desconhecem a identidade do candidato, assim como, um do outro. Posteriormente, a avaliação é ponderada e sujeita a aprovação por parte da ISAE para análise e correcção de possíveis discrepâncias.
According to the rules defined by ICAO’s scale, the level obtained in the test is determined by the lowest score obtained in the six descriptors (Pronunciation, Vocabulary, Structure, Fluency, Comprehension, Interactions). The level is assigned independently and separately by two raters, who do not know the identity of the candidate, neither each other’s identity. Thereafter, the level is weighted and subject to approval by ISAE for analysis and correction of possible discrepancies.
Prazo de entrega dos resultados | Delivery of results
Entre 3 a 4 semanas após a realização do teste.
Between 3 and 4 weeks after the test.
Recurso de nota | Test Result appeals
Os recursos devem ser efectuados até de 21 dias após o lançamento da nota, directamente para o CTIA da APPLA, através do preenchimento de formulário para o efeito (fornecido pela APPLA).
O custo do recurso é de €90, pagos directamente à APPLA. Se o recurso for positivo, €60 serão devolvidos (diferença incide sobre tratamento burocrático).
Appeals should be made up to 21 days after the release of the result, directly to APPLA’s CTIA, by filling out the Candidate’s Appeal Form (provided by APPLA).
The cost for the appeal is €90, paid directly to APPLA. If the appeal proves positive, €60 will be returned (the difference is used against bureaucratic processing).
Repetição do teste | Re-examination
Existem três circunstâncias distintas em que a repetição do exame pode ocorrer:
- 30 dias após o exame, desde que o candidato se submeta a um curso específico de Inglês ministrado pela ISAE.
- 60 dias após o exame, caso em que não existe qualquer outra restrição.
- Logo que possível, nos casos em que circunstâncias alheias à vontade do candidato, devidamente comprovadas pelo CTIA/APPLA, possam ter afectado o resultado do teste.
There are three different circumstances in which a re-examination can take place:
- 30 days after the exam, as long as the candidate undergoes a specific course ministered by ISAE.
- 60 days after the exam, in which case there is no other restriction.
- As soon as possible, in cases where circumstances beyond the control of candidate, duly certified by CTIA/APPLA may have impacted the result of the test.
Structure of the IAET
IAET is composed of five parts and will last around 30min.
The organization of the test is as follows:
- Part 1: Introduction and initial discussion: The examiner asks several questions related to general topics.
- Part 2: Assessment of listening skills: This part is designed to test mainly candidates’ comprehension of aviation English (Telling the message in their own words).
- Part 3: Assessment of ability to use plain English in aviation-related topics: Visual prompts are used as an aid to elicit aviation-related vocabulary. Candidates will then tell a brief story (about three minutes long) based on the picture they just saw.
In Parts 4 and 5 the examiner will play several voice prompts delivered by computer, recorded by native or ICAO Level 6 speakers of various backgrounds.
- Part 4: Assessment of use of plain English in non-routine situations
- Part 5: Assessment of communicative ability in radiotelephony
Examiner will use a standardized introduction to the test
Part 1 Introduction and Initial Discussion
- What are the qualifications of a good pilot?
- What’s the difference between a pilot’s role today, compared with the past?
- How much training is necessary to be a pilot?
- Would you please describe current weather?
- Have you ever experienced any unusual weather while flying?
Part 2 Assessment of Listening Skills
- Our chocks have not been removed, so we are unable to start taxiing. Can someone take care of that for us?
- Our main landing gear has failed to extend. Request radar vectors so we are able to troubleshoot.
- San Francisco center, Delta 459, are there other build ups in the vicinity? Our weather radar has failed.
- We are established on ILS for runway 17 Right. The needles are fluctuating, but we have the runway in sight.
- We have spotted an aircraft as we were coming out of the overcast.
Part 3 Assessment of ability to use plain English in aviation-related topics
- Expect to be presented with an aviation related picture
Part 4 Assessment of use of plain English in non-routine situations
- A crewmember reports the smell of smoke in the cabin but is unable to locate the source. What would be your course of action?
- A low fuel indicator illuminates but the fuel gauges are still showing the expected amount for this portion of the flight. What do you do?
- Your aircraft is on final approach to land. Your landing gear failed to fully deploy. Explain what actions you would take.
- During a night approach it appears all external lighting is unresponsive. What do you do?
- A passenger reports a vehicle has scraped the wing during pushback from the terminal. What is your next course of action?
Part 5 Assessment of communicative ability in radiotelephony.
- During the take-off roll at night, you accidently hit an animal that got onto the runway. Explain the problem to Air Traffic Control.
- You are in-flight and experience problems with anti-icing system. Explain the problem to Air Traffic Control.